I am not sure how a private JVM on a VPS or on a regular shared OS can be more difficult than the challenges you are facing with the present shared JVM. A shared JVM is good for a very basic JSP/Servlet application. However by its nature (shared), you will not be able to do certain configurations required for more complex applications because that is only possible on your own private installation or instance. Remember on a shared JVM, you as well as others are using the same application server instance and JVM. So image if everyone is able to make changes on the global configuration file e.g. server.xml,etc.

Charl Gerber wrote:
I currently DO have my own Tomcat server, but the
application is now moved to South Africa (site for a
business over there, makes it a lot faster for the
users who will 99% be based in SA) and Tomcat hosting
alone is difficult, leave alone a private JVM.

--- Ken Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Why not move your hosting to an isp who provides a
vps?
Then you get complete control of your own tomcat;
the whole thing looks and
feels like you have your own server, even though you
are sharing the physical machine.:w

The prices I've seen are comparable to those where
you have to share your tomcat.

My 2 cents...

Ken Bowen

Charl Gerber wrote:
Turns out datasource configuration is not possible
using Plesk as a shared tomcat server, the guys at
Plesk themselves told me.

That sucks. Means I have to create and manage the
Datasource in my app... minor refactoring, but not
nice way of doing it. I also use hibernate and
could
only get that working by defining its own
connection
pooling. So now I have two pools :((

--- Pid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Charl Gerber wrote:
Hi,

I just moved my hosting from a provider where I
had a
private Tomcat server with complete control over
it to
a provider that uses Plesk and I share the
Tomcat
server with other users. The provider has no
Tomcat
knowledge in house and the Tomcat service is
rarely
used, so they couldn't help me with this
problem.
which version of tomcat?

I want to create a jdbc datasource for my
application.
If we manually create it in server.xml, the
provider
claims that the changes are overwritten and
removed
every time someone uploads a new .war file. (Is
this
true?)
AFAIK, server.xml is not altered by war file
deployments.
Tomcat would need to be restarted in order that
those alterations to
server.xml are evaluated.

I also do not want to define the datasource as
eg a global resource, as it would mean the other
users
of the tomcat server can get access to my
database.
I tried to configure the datasource in the
context.xml
of my application and put it in my .war file.
This
works fine on my development server, but when
uploaded
to the Tomcat server with Plesk, a server.xml
entry
for my application is created without the
datasource
settings and I cannot access my database.
What are the details of the entry being made in
server.xml?
Is Plesk making these alterations?
What process are you using to upload the WAR?

How and where can I properly define a datasource
for
my application so that Plesk will set the Tomcat
configuration correctly?
META-INF/context.xml is the best location I
think.
Please provide more details about the tomcat
version
and the answer to
the questions above.

CG