Chris,
I just read this on Apple's website:

Mac OS X Tiger breaks the limitations of 32-bit computing and allows developers to create command-line applications, servers, and computation engines that can work with mind-blowing amounts of memory. Previous versions of Mac OS X have been able to take advantage of more than 4GB of system memory when running on a G5-equipped Mac, but each application was still subject to the 4GB limit imposed by a 32-bit address space. Tiger obliterates that restriction and allows applications to access a 64-bit address space when running on the PowerPC G5. Better yet, this support comes with no compromise in the ability to run current 32-bit applications.

So, it seems that at least the 64-bit part of Alex's post could be on the right track?

Thanks,
Richard