David Rees wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:38 AM, Ronald Klop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
See my previous mail about send/receive buffers filling because Ack wasn't
read by FastAsyncSender.
 The option waitForAck="true" did the trick for me. But for FastAsyncSender
you should set sendAck="false" on the receiving side.

Thanks for the information, Ronald. Can you clarify your settings by
by posting a minimal configuration? I looked for the option sendAck on
the Tomcat cluster page and couldn't find any reference to that
configuration parameter:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/cluster-howto.html

It looks like doing something like one of the two is a good idea for a
barebones setup to make sure that the acking behavior is consistent
since Tomcat doesn't seem to ensure that they are sane:

<Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"
receiver.sendAck="true" sender.waitForAck="true"/>

<Cluster className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"
receiver.sendAck="false" sender.waitForAck="false"/>

I'm a bit confused as to why this issue only affects one of my
clusters (out of 3 production clusters with identical setups) and not
more people are seeing it. Are most people specifying their Ack
settings? Or do most people not see enough traffic between restarts to
trigger this issue? Granted, the one that's affected also happens to
handle the most traffic by far. I'll have to do more testing on my
test cluster to verify (I've already turned on waitForAck everywhere
in production), hopefully I can reproduce it.

Anyone have information on how using Acks in the cluster affects performance?
yes, they are not good :)
only used if and only if your load balancer is unable to do proper session stickyness, and you when you send messages async, they are completely useless, since the tomcat cluster doesn't do anything with the error when a message failed asynchronously

Filip