I would very much prefer to use only the one in
mywebapp/META-INF/contex.xml, as this is much less invasive (does not
require changing/adding anything to tomcat's global config
directories).  But this doesn't seem to work.

I can leave it as is (and am becoming resigned to the fact that this
is my only option), but this is sort of a maintenance nightmare since
the two files need to be kept in sync.  Plus, it just seems idiotic to
need to declare the context and its resources in two locations.

Does either of these files need a 'docBase' or 'path' parameter?  It
doesn't seem to make a difference either way.

-rob