Disclaimer: I am a Glassfish developer, working for Sun. So you can ignore whatever I say. :)

I run Tomcat for my server (diglloyd.com), for specific reasons. Glassfish is a terrific product and so is Tomcat. Which is better depends on the goal, as with any product.

Glassfish URL:  https://glassfish.dev.java.net/

Glassfish V2 has a number of differences with Tomcat, here are just a few:

- it's a full Java EE compliant server (eg, servlet, ejb, etc)
- it offers a fantastic web-based management interface, along with an extensive command-line interface
- it offers an extensive MBean interface for management and monitoring
- support for MySQL and Java DB built in
- commercial support from Sun at a variety of levels

It does indeed incorporate Tomcat, though there are some differences with Valves and configuration and deployment.

Glassfish V3 moves to a powerful OSGi-based modular system. With V3, you'll essentially be able to pare a system down to any form you like, one that could run (for example), just Tomcat.

Tomcat is a great technology. Glassfish is too, but has a much wider range of features. Sometimes simple is better, sometimes more features are better.

Lloyd Chambers
http://diglloyd.com

[Mac OS X 10.5.2 Intel, Tomcat 6.0.16]