> From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency
> amounts problem
>
> http://www.kewlstuff.co.za/test/test.htm
> What do you see in this test page?

Depends on which character encoding I choose to view the page in.  For the
declared UTF-8, FF3 shows the invalid hex value at that spot in your page.  If
I override that with say ISO-8859-15, the R in a circle appears.  Note that no
font is involved here, just the encoding declaration.

You need to get over this fixation with fonts - they have absolutely nothing to
do with this issue.  A font is just a graphical description of how to draw one
or more code points on an output device, based on the font designer's take on
what each code point should look like.  It's the character encoding that tells
the message recipient what code point to generate for a given bit pattern; only
after the code point is determined does any font get involved to create the
visible symbol.

This is a great site to get lost in for a few days:
http://www.unicode.org/

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.