> From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency
> amounts problem
>
> If this locale stuff is in fact defaulting to an ISO char set
> that can do these symbols...

There's the basic problem - anytime you allow defaults to come into play you
put yourself at risk.

> and say you where making a non english page, say
> Japanese... do you think that its possible to use it?

Certainly, and you should use it - but with the desired Locale specified, not
using whatever the default happens to be at that instant.

> they using the getCurrencyInstance to make the currency symbols.

But, if you want a specific currency symbol (e.g., Yen, Pound Sterling), the
Locale should be explicitly provided on the API call; only if you want to use
the platform's default should the getCurrencyInstance() without an argument be
used.

> But I'm thinking its a US/Eng only methodology...

Nope, it's universal.  Java supports a seemingly infinite number of locales.

> When you say.... "If I override that with say ISO-8859-15",
> is that the whole page you talking about

Yes, I was setting the browser to use a fixed encoding rather than the one in
the HTTP header or the browser default.

> it possible to have  different character encoding sections
> in a web page....

I don't know HTML well enough to completely answer that question, but I believe
HTTP uses the last character set header specified, and all HTTP headers must
precede the HTML.  You should be able to achieve the desired effect with
frames.  However, if you just use UTF-8, you don't need to worry about, since
that includes every code point in the known universe.

> if I do look at that test page in a MS tool...
> it displays correctly with mixed encodings?

MS cheats at every opportunity, seemingly avoiding standards whenever they can.
 IE likes to guess at the intent of the web page, sometimes getting it right,
often getting it horribly wrong.

> But when you choose a font in a text editor like Swing or
> Word, you are also picking some character set...

Nope - most editors do not let you choose the character encoding, they just use
the platform default.  Some do let you choose a UTF-x flavor in lieu of the
platform default, which is quite desirable.  Some fonts (e.g., Wingdings)
redefine the glyphs for given code points in order to display oddball symbols
within a non-Unicode encoding; these were pretty much all developed before
Unicode came into widespread use, but are still around for compatibility.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.