> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Migrating to tomcat 6 gives formatted currency
> amounts problem
>
> so, Java is still 16-bit Unicode in its char primitive,
> but you can use ints to hold UTF-16 values using 21-bits?

The 21-bit values are represented by pairs of Java chars, the first from the
UTF-16 high-surrogate range, the second from the low-surrogate range.  The
21-bit code point can be accessed as an int by some of the java.lang.Character
methods introduced in 1.5.

> especially since java.lang.Character only takes a char as a
> constructor parameter :(

Yes, I think all the new Character methods related to code points are static;
there are corresponding instance methods in java.lang.String though.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.