Hi.

I have Tomcat 5.5 running on a variety of platforms, among them Windows XP (my laptop) and Windows 2003 server. For the Windows installation, until now I have been using the Windows Service Installer from the Tomcat 5.5 download page, and it works fine.

But could someone shed some light on the following puzzle ?

A recent discussion on this list triggered my curiosity, and as a result I bumped into several things :

- the installer for Windows installs a version of Tomcat 5.5 devoid of the usual "startup.sh/bat", "catalina.sh/bat" etc.. and instead just installs a couple of files in Tomcat_home\bin, of which a tomcat5.exe (which seems to be the Tomcat executable), and a tomcat5w.exe which is the Windows GUI allowing to configure the Tomcat service..

- the "ImagePath" Registry entry for the Tomcat 5.5 Service shows this :
 C:\Tomcat5.5\bin\tomcat5.exe //RS//Tomcat5

- On the Tomcat 5.5 download page, in addition to the installer, there also exists a Tomcat 5.5 zip file. That one seems to contain the full complement of usual files of Tomcat, including Tomcat_home\bin, plus the tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe which are also in the installer package. It also contains a file "service.bat" which is described nowhere, but seesm to be related to the procrun item of which question below.

The Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6 on-line documentation, setup page, section for Windows, only seem to mention the Installer package. There is a link on both the 5.5 and 6.0 Windows setup sections, pointing to a "Windows Service HowTo", which leads to a page mentioning "procrun 1.0", but in the same breath indicating that it is now obsolete.

Digging further, I found a link to the Apache Commons project "Daemon", which seems to include this "procrun" for Windows, and also a "jsvc" for Unix.

The page there relative to procrun,
(http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html)
apart from being relatively difficult to read, seems interesting and seems to match the way my Windows Tomcat 5.5 instances are really installed and running.
(See registry line above).
But I found nowhere a link to download this procrun in binary form.
I also did not find any link there pointing to any other version of procrun...

On the other side of things, this same Apache Commons Daemon project also covers a "jsvc", which seems to be a wrapper allowing to "run Tomcat as a daemon under Unix/Linux".

I believe I have seen mentions of this jsvc in some Tomcat documents (or in this forum ?), but at any rate my Tomcat Debian Linux systems seem to run Tomcat 5.5 as daemon perfectly fine, without seeming to use this jsvc module.
So I wonder what it is used for.

What I kind of piece together of all this is as follows :

- the packagers of Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6 for Windows use this procrun program (in whatever version, but probably not 1.0), to take the java JVM executable and make it into a Windows service which runs Tomcat. This Windows Service executable is named tomcat5.exe in the msi distribution. (Or else this tomcat5.exe is not really java packaged as a service, but just a stub pointing to an installed Java jvm dll). Anyway the result is packaged, together with the other Tomcat components, into a Windows Service Installer package which is the one on the Tomcat download page.

- the documentation of this procrun (or whatever is related to it for Tomcat), on the Tomcat site, is out-of-date and does not match the version of procrun that is being used above.

- the procrun program is a general utility that allows to take any Java program (or any program ?) and turn it into a Windows service. It thus seems to be something like the old "srvany" workhorse, but a bit more sophisticated. But this procrun program does not seem to be available for download in binary form.

- and I don't have a clue as to what jsvc may be for.

Thanks
André