> From: André Warnier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.5 / Windows / procrun ?
>
> Do you want to elaborate on the unfortunate issue of why the
> binaries are not available in the Commons, but are available
> on the Tomcat SVN ?

Actually, I think most non-Java code from commons is source-only, with the
expectation that the user will compile it for the target platform.  Due to the
wide variety of Windows and Linux C environments available, it seems reasonable
that the committers not try to cover all the bases.

> Does the installer pick the right one for the platform ?

No - only the 32-bit x86 version comes with either the .exe or .zip downloads.
If you have an IA64 (perish the thought) or AMD64 platform, you need to
recompile the source for that environment or go to the location specified in
the previous message and download the appropriate .exe files.

> Maybe someone should just remove that out-of-date comment,
> it  makes the whole thing all the more confusing.
> Do you know where/how someone should suggest this ?

The normal procedure is to submit a bugzilla entry, preferably with a patch.

> 1) One can download the zip version of Tomcat 5.5 (and 6 ?),
> and use the startup scripts to start a command-window instance
> of Tomcat. In that case, the executable shown running will be
> java.exe.

Correct; that's the standard launcher that comes with the JRE and is used by
the scripts.

> 2) But starting Tomcat via these scripts will not allow to
> run Tomcat as a Windows Service.

True, but the service.bat script will install the service, just as if you had
used the .exe download.  If you're on Vista or Server 2008, you'll need to run
the service.bat script as an administrator (not just be logged on as one).

> 3) To run Tomcat as a Service, you have to use the Tomcat(x).exe.

The tomcat<n>.exe program *is* the service, at least as far as Windows is
concerned.  The service.bat script installs the service, targeting the
tomcat<n>.exe program.

Just running the tomcat<n>.exe program without the proper options does not
create the service nor run as one; use the service.bat script to install and
the tomcat<n>w.exe program to change settings.

> 4) But you can use the tomcat(x).exe from the zip distribution, it is
> the same as the one installed by the Windows Installer.

Yes, they are identical.  Also, the tomcat5.exe and tomcat6.exe programs are
identical (other than the names), as are the tomcat5w.exe and tomcat6w.exe
programs.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.