I'm using 6.0.18, which unless they just put out a new version is the
latest.

I've already turned the echo on.  If you look at my first post, I commented
what happened in the batch files.  I can't see anything that would throw an
error.

I've enclosed the results of my running catalina start without the echo off
statements.

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Konstantin Kolinko
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> 2008/9/30 Bai Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Okay, if I keep this up I'll be able to fit both feet in my mouth.
> >
> > Apparently setclasspath.bat does see the variables set in setenv.bat  It
> was
> > my troubleshooting method that was faulty.
> >
> > Basically, the problem boils down to the fact that right after
> > setclasspath.bat is call, there's the following line in catalina.bat
> >
> > if errorlevel 1 goto end
> >
> > That's the last line I see before everthing stops. I had assumed there
> was a
> > problem with the setclasspath.bat file, but the last line from that is
> goto
> > end, which AFAIK, skips over the exit /b 1
> >
> > So for some reason, on Windows 2000 and 2003 Server only, Tomcat won't
> > start.  I get no error at all.  I had to remove the echo off statements
> > see that it was stopping after setclasspath.bat
> >
> > Hopefully this will be the last of me sticking my foot in my mouth. :)
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Bai Shen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Okay, I feel silly now.  I jus realized that XP returns Windows_NT from
> the
> >> OS variable.  And my Tomcat install works fine in XP.  So it's
> apparently
> >> something besides the setlocal.  Which leaves me back at square one.  :(
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?

> variables
> the
> the

> setlocal

> You should mention what tomcat version you are trying to use.
>
> If it is not the latest one, try *.bat files from the latest version.
>
> I reckon that I once stumbled into misbehaving bat files, that
> were also complaining about some wrong goto. I fixed them in couple
> of minutes by adding some blank lines or removing trailing spaces --
> I do not remember how exactly, and what were those files, and I do
> not see any remnants lying around.
>
> I suggest you to set "echo on" in all those bat files and
> capture their output in a file. Maybe there are some oddities
> there, like too many quotes, backslashes, expanded variables.
>

> Best regards,
> Konstantin Kolinko

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under
one or more

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file
distributed with

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem this work for additional information regarding copyright
ownership.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache
License, Version 2.0

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem (the "License"); you may not use this file except in
compliance with

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem     http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in
writing, software

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS
IS" BASIS,

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either
express or implied.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem See the License for the specific language governing
permissions and

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem limitations under the License.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if "Windows_NT" == "Windows_NT" setlocal

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Start/Stop Script for the CATALINA Server

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Environment Variable Prequisites

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   CATALINA_HOME   May point at your Catalina "build"
directory.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   CATALINA_BASE   (Optional) Base directory for resolving
dynamic portions

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   of a Catalina installation.  If not
present, resolves to

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   the same directory that CATALINA_HOME
points to.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   CATALINA_OPTS   (Optional) Java runtime options used
when the "start",

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   or "run" command is executed.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   CATALINA_TMPDIR (Optional) Directory path location of
temporary directory

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   the JVM should use (java.io.tmpdir).
Defaults to

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   \temp.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   JAVA_HOME       Must point at your Java Development Kit
installation.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   Required to run the with the "debug"
argument.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   JRE_HOME        Must point at your Java Runtime
installation.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   Defaults to JAVA_HOME if empty.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   JAVA_OPTS       (Optional) Java runtime options used
when the "start",

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   "stop", or "run" command is executed.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   JSSE_HOME       (Optional) May point at your Java
Secure Sockets Extension

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   (JSSE) installation, whose JAR files
will be added to the

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   system class path used to start Tomcat.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   JPDA_TRANSPORT  (Optional) JPDA transport used when the
"jpda start"

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   command is executed. The default is
"dt_shmem".

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   JPDA_ADDRESS    (Optional) Java runtime options used
when the "jpda start"

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   command is executed. The default is
"jdbconn".

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   JPDA_SUSPEND    (Optional) Java runtime options used
when the "jpda start"

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   command is executed. Specifies whether
JVM should suspend

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   execution immediately after startup.
Default is "n".

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem   JPDA_OPTS       (Optional) Java runtime options used
when the "jpda start"

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   command is executed. If used,
JPDA_TRANSPORT, JPDA_ADDRESS,

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   and JPDA_SUSPEND are ignored. Thus, all
required jpda

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   options MUST be specified. The default
is:

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                   -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=,

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem                       address=,server=y,suspend=

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem $Id: catalina.bat 656834 2008-05-15 21:04:04Z markt $

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Guess CATALINA_HOME if not defined

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set CURRENT_DIR=C:\CAH\tomcat\bin

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if not "" == "" goto gotHome

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set CATALINA_HOME=C:\CAH\tomcat\bin

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if exist "C:\CAH\tomcat\bin\bin\catalina.bat" goto okHome

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>cd ..

C:\CAH\tomcat>set CATALINA_HOME=C:\CAH\tomcat

C:\CAH\tomcat>cd C:\CAH\tomcat\bin

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if exist "C:\CAH\tomcat\bin\catalina.bat" goto okHome

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Get standard environment variables

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if "" == "" goto gotSetenvHome

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if exist "C:\CAH\tomcat\bin\setenv.bat" call
"C:\CAH\tomcat\bin\setenv.bat"

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set JAVA_HOME=

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set JRE_HOME=..\..\jre

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms64m -Xmx256m

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Get standard Java environment variables

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if exist "C:\CAH\tomcat\bin\setclasspath.bat" goto
okSetclasspath

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set BASEDIR=C:\CAH\tomcat

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>call "C:\CAH\tomcat\bin\setclasspath.bat" start

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem @echo off

[...]

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Set CLASSPATH and Java options

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem $Id: setclasspath.bat 562770 2007-08-04 22:13:58Z markt $

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Make sure prerequisite environment variables are set

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if not "" == "" goto gotJdkHome

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if not "..\..\jre" == "" goto gotJreHome

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if not exist "..\..\jre\bin\java.exe" goto noJavaHome

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if not exist "..\..\jre\bin\javaw.exe" goto noJavaHome

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if not ""start"" == ""debug"" goto okJavaHome

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if not "C:\CAH\tomcat" == "" goto gotBasedir

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if exist "C:\CAH\tomcat\bin\setclasspath.bat" goto okBasedir

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Set the default -Djava.endorsed.dirs argument

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS=C:\CAH\tomcat\endorsed

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Set standard CLASSPATH

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Note that there are no quotes as we do not want to
introduce random

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem quotes into the CLASSPATH

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if not exist "\lib\tools.jar" goto noJavac

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Set standard command for invoking Java.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Note that NT requires a window name argument when using
start.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>rem Also note the quoting as JAVA_HOME may contain spaces.

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set _RUNJAVA="..\..\jre\bin\java"

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set _RUNJAVAW="..\..\jre\bin\javaw"

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set _RUNJDB="\bin\jdb"

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>set _RUNJAVAC="\bin\javac"

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>goto end

C:\CAH\tomcat\bin>if errorlevel 1 goto end