Ah-hah!  I found the problem!  Apparently, if you try to unset an
environment variable that's not set, 2k and 2k3 return an error. I added a
line setting JAVA_HOME in the setenv file and then when I set JAVA_HOME to
nothing, I don't get the error.  So now I just need to have it check if
JAVA_HOME is actually set before calling set JAVA_HOME=

Well, that's some good news. I wonder why it's different than the way XP
works.

Thanks to everyone who responded.