Hi tomcat Wisemen,

I'm trying to deploy a servlet on my fresh installated tomcat. I believe
I've succeded on installation as I can see the main page and run its
servlets on http://eawars.sytes.net:8180/, which is the domain and port of
my remote tomcat. (I run tomcat on a server on my LAN, but I've opened ports
for you on router to check it and because we're deploying a java application
as soon as I get it to work.

Actually, it USED to work three days ago, then, I don't know why, the basic
servlets I tried for testing stopped working, although the main page and
servlets keep working.

Anyway, I just tried a basic HelloWorld servlet. I assume the compilation
was good and the .class file is correct, as it was before. I deploy the
servlet structure into the webapps folder. However I get the resource not
available error.

Here's my web.xml:
<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
2.2//EN"
"http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd";>

<web-app>
        <servlet>
                <servlet-name>Hello</servlet-name>
                <servlet-class>HolaMundo</servlet-class>
        </servlet>
        <servlet-mapping>
                <servlet-name>Hello</servlet-name>
                <url-pattern>eawars</url-pattern>
        </servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

I run tomcat on an ubuntu server with shorewall (it has the port open). I'm
putting the servlets not on the ROOT/webapps but on the
/usr/share/tomcat5.5/webapps/
the .class name is HolaMundo.class

At first, I had the invoker mapping commented on /conf/web.xml, as suggested
(though unrecommended) on many pages, I tried uncommenting it, and
restarting, with no result. Same thing with

<servlet>
        <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
          org.apache.catalina.servlets.InvokerServlet
        </servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <param-name>debug</param-name>
            <param-value>0</param-value>
        </init-param>
        <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
    </servlet>

Which is not what they point out to be uncommented.

I didn't do a backup of the conf web.xml file, I'm afraid I may have screwed
it up...

I also tried deploying some *.war (one you provide and another one). Same
result.

I feel totally lost, I may re-install tomcat but I feel like it can be
solved easily... I'm stuck.
It's my first contact with servlets, I'll be reading the servlet basics, but
I'm not sure it helps...

Thank you for your attention, if you'd need any extra information, I'll
gladly provide it.

See ya!

Quim