would like to know if I can
kill any process from netstat or otherwise (other than from Task
Manager, as that doesn't show anything useful).

Cud be IIS interference to Tomcat.
Try the following

Start --> Control Panel --> Administrative Tools -->Services --> I

Find the process named IIS Admin and right click to Stop it.

jus my 2 cents.