Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

Also, since the manager app is an administrative function, one would expect
 that responsibility to be handled in-country..

Yeah, thought of that too. Ok, I guess it is acceptable for the Manager.

As I mentioned previously, the user.language setting can be changed on the fly.
  If a webapp altered it before the first reference to the manager app,
 that would affect the response of the manager.

I missed that before.
Do you really mean that one webapp can change that setting and thus influence other webapps that way ?
If Tomcat <Host> has autoDeploy=true, is that still valid ?

One question remains unanswered: was Tomcat restarted between the English ->
Deutsch transition,
probably
 and then again between the Deutsch -> English one?
probably
  If your server's locale file was somehow unavailable
that is unlikely

I mean that I certinly restarted Tomcat several times in the last week, including probably in-between the Manager language changes. But I did not change the LANG environment value in the modified catalina.sh,bcause that makes one of other apps fail visibly, and that did not happen.

I will try tonight again. We do have one webapp that has its own properties file and changes its language on the fly (at user request). I'll have to ask the colleague tomorrow if it also resets the system's user.language setting. Better, I'll try it.

I will also play again with the LANG environment setting of the overall Tomcat, to see if the Manager switches.
Today it was still English, on all stations.
I'm really glad I took a snapshot the other day, and had a colleague try it, or else people around me would think I imagined the whole thing.