From: Leon Rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 4, 2008 11:58:26 AM
Subject: Re: initial memory pool and maximum memory pool in Tomcat 6.x

Hello Tuan,

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Tuan Quan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear all;
> What is the advantage of setting both values to the same number?

In case your server is short on memory it will try to increase the
amount of used memory from start to max. In case the load is really
heavy the vm can just throw an OutOfMemoryError even memory would be
available. To prevent this unneeded runtime extension we tend to set
both parameters to the same value.

> My application run out Permgen memory,
> If I set both memory pool to 1200MB, and Permgen - 256M, Tomcat will not
> start.
> but if memory pool to 900MB and Permgen to 256M, Tomcat start OK.

What are your real limitations, jdk version, os, ram? I remember that
11xx was max on older vms under windows.

regards
Leon