On 12.03.2009 16:42, SQ wrote:
Good to see others are seeing the same problem that’s been driving us crazy
and is slowly become a very serious issue.  Admittedly, my knowledge on this
whole area is limited, but I’ll try my best to provide as much info as
possible to help solve the problem.

Here are some specifics:
Tomcat serves most of the pages, excluding html pages, which there are very
few.  We have tried extensively to reproduce the problem, but cannot.
Restarting either apache or tomcat clears the problem.  We have two
different environments that are exhibiting the same problem.

In both environments, tomcat and apache are on the same machines.

Development
Solaris 10
Tomcat 5.0.19
Apache 2.0.49
mod_jk2/2.0.4

Web
Solaris 10
Tomcat 5.0.19
Apache 2.2.6
mod_jk/1.2.25

Web servers are load balanced using separate machines.  These machines have
a probe that runs, checking the health of the web servers.  The servers are
constantly going up and down depending on the random responses.  This is
normally how we are alerted of the problem, or user input.  Problem happens
daily on the web servers, maybe once a week in development.

I looked for any signs of APR and found none; I don’t think we’re using it.

After glancing over past responses, it appears upgrading mod_jk should be
the first step, but it doesn’t seem like that was a guaranteed fix for all.
Interestingly enough, we’re using two different versions and getting the
same problem on both.  Any other suggestions?  Any additional info I can
provide?

Jus to make sure, we are talking about the same kind of observation: could you please describe independently, how the observed problem looks like in your case?

Since you see the problem with mod_jk2 and with mod_jk I somehow doubt, that it comes form mod_jk (but hey, I'm involved in mod_jk development, so that might simply be defense.

What is obvious, your Tomcat is *very* outdated. You are using a no longer supported major version (5.0) and with 5.0 you are using a very old minor version.

If you have any chance, upgrade your Tomcat.

Apart from that: what else can you tell about the problem? Are there log entries either from mod_jk, Apache httpd or Tomcat associated with these events? Would you be able to snoop traffic between httpd and Tomcat and between httpd and the clients?

Where did you get your mod_jk from? How was it build?

Regards,

Rainer