Rainer,

Rainer Jung-3 wrote:

> I guess you mean the lines with the 503 are the bad responses? But those
> do not indicate, that the probe gets back the page requested by someone
> else, it shows that the web server or Tomcat throw an HTTP error, namely
> 503. In this case I would guess, that mod_jk detected an error and put
> th enode into error status. You should check your mod_jk log file. It
> might also be good to temporarily activate the access log of Tomcat too,
> in order to check, whether the 503 already came from there or not.
>
> I would expect the develop observation and this one are two different
> things.

Actually I was trying to draw comparison to the original poster, Tim
Redding's comments about how the file size on a static page would change.
Unfortunately, I gave you a bad example, which included the 503 error.
Please ignore that.  Basically, in the access_log we see the file size
change, because it is serving the wrong page.  We had to throw a band aid
up, which monitors the file sizes and if they differ, the script bounces
Apache.  Seems to work ok for now, but its kind of ugly.

Rainer Jung-3 wrote:

> Do both (mod_jk and mod_jk2 show the problems A=develop and B=probes?

Yes, after looking closer, we're having the same problem with both
connectors.  We're currently in the process of upgrading everything-- going
to Apache 2.2.11, mod_jk 1.2.27, and Tomcat 5.5.27.  I'll let you know if
any of these help.