> From: Jason Pyeron [mailto:jpye...@pdinc.us]
> "PHP by itself is very fast. Much faster than ASP or JSP
> running on the same
> type of server. This is because it has very little overhead
> compared to its
> competitors and it pre-compiles all of its code before it
> runs each script"
>
> How would others respond to this?

PHP doesn't scale as well under heavy load.  If they are genuinely interested
in scalability, figures 4-12 of
http://www.trl.ibm.com/people/mich/pub/200812_middleware2008specweb.pdf should
be interesting to them.

I'm also particularly amused by the topmost set of bars in figure 2, given how
proud the perl-ites are of their RE library and performance ;-).

I copy the paper's conclusions here:

"8   Conclusion

"When implementing a web server system which will never experience high load,
or in
which performance, throughput, and reliability under high load is not an issue,
then
the use of any of the analyzed languages or web servers will achieve similar
performance results. If outstanding performance and throughput is the primary
goal,
then the use of JSP over PHP is advisable. However, if a 5-10% difference in
throughput and performance is acceptable, then the implementer of a web system
can
achieve similar results using either PHP or JSP. In which case, other
requirements
such as developer language familiarity and programming efficiency,
maintainability,
security, reliability, middleware compatibility, etc. would be the deciding
factors. It is
also reassuring to developers of both language runtimes and web servers, that
enhancements to either can offer performance improvements to the community."

                - Peter