André Warnier wrote:

Addendum :

from Servlet Spec 2.5 :

SRV.3.1.1 When Parameters Are Available
The following are the conditions that must be met before post form data will be populated to the parameter set:
1. The request is an HTTP or HTTPS request.
2. The HTTP method is POST.
3. The content type is application/x-www-form-urlencoded.
4. The servlet has made an initial call of any of the getParameter family of methods on the request object. If the conditions are not met and the post form data is not included in the parameter set, the post data must still be available to the servlet via the request object’s input stream. If the conditions are met, post form data will no longer be available for reading directly from the request object’s input stream.

Just thought I'd save Chuck a cut-and-paste..

Now, to be totally forthcoming, I must say that I did not find some definite clearcut spec anywhere (like RFC2616 or the servlet spec) that POST data *must* be one of the two encodings mentioned earlier, exclusive of all others. Interestingly, the servlet spec's wording even sounds like it would leave open the encoding, when it is /not/ "application/x-www-form-urlencoded". But it does talk about "POST form data" and "parameter set", which in my view explicitly refers to this :
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#form-data-set
This last in turn clearly specifies that POST data should be at least in pairs of "parameter name" / "parameter value".

Which this XML data anyway is not.
CQFD.