David Smith wrote:

Having had to recently do some SOAP work, it looks to me that is at
least partially what the OP was trying to begin with.  SOAP performs a
POST with XML as the body of the request.  It's not URI encoded
parameters or multipart data like the HTML Form posts, but a standard
POST operation with an xml body.  This is legitimate stuff to do and I
would consider the spec broken if it didn't support it.

Just my two cents.

I (relunctantly) believe you're right, and that I was being unnecessarily pernickety.
At least according to this :
http://www.w3schools.com/SOAP/soap_example.asp

OP, all is forgiven.  And David, you get your two cents back.
;-)

.. just don't do any getParameter() with your stuff.
That, I believe, /may/ still get you in trouble.
But I'm sure by now Chuck is already checking the Tomcat code of getParameter(), to see if that's the case.