I'm editing the context.xml in the application's MET-INF directory. The following is what it contains: Resource name="*DB/TMS*" auth="*Container*" type="*javax.sql.DataSource*" username="*********" password="*********" driverClassName="*net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbcx.JtdsDataSource*" url="*jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://localhost:1433;DatabaseName=TMS*" maxActive="*8*" maxIdle="*1*" removeAbandoned="*true*" I have not set the 'unpackWARs' option anywhere but I deploy through the tomcat administrative console.

Mark Thomas wrote:
Francis Judge wrote:
I am using Tomcat 6.0.18 and am using jTDS to connect to SQL Server
2005. The application is working fine in development (I'm using Netbeans
6.5) and I build the WAR from the IDE at the moment. When I deploy the
WAR to the test server

How do you deploy your WAR? Is unpackWARs true or false?

I update the context.xml to point the database

Exactly which file do you edit?

connection URL to the testing SQL Server, and restart the application
server. But, the DataSource is still using the settings from the WAR
that I deployed and not reading the new values that I changed in the
context.xml. If I put the testing details into the context.xml before I
build the WAR then they are the ones used and everything works
correctly. Surely this is not how Tomcat is intended to behave?

It may not be how you intended Tomcat to behave. How Tomcat should
behave will depend on the answers to the questions above.

Mark