On Monday 22 June 2009 12:02:49 Mark Thomas wrote:

> You are editing the wrong file. When a web application is first
> deployed, any META-INF/context.xml is copied to
> CATALINA_BASE/conf/<enginename>/<hostname> (usually
> CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost) and renamed to appName.xml. Eg
> for a war file named myapp.war a META-INF/context.xml would be renamed
> to myapp.xml#
>
> Edit the copy of the context.xml file and all will work as you expect.

What is the reason for this behavior? It seems quite counterintuitive. If I
package a new version of my application with updated configuration, I usually
expect that this configuration is used when I deploy this application, esp.
with the manager deployment functionality.

If I want to deploy the application on different tomcat installations, I have
to delete the file from CATALINA_BASE/conf on each one, and it even might
have a different path on each. So this behavior causes more work for my use
case, and I have to do s.th. in addition to the standard deployment call. Is
there a benefit from it?

> Mark

Rainer