(Late arrival, skimmed the thread, apologies if I'm off the mark).

Given the assumption of different data per user/client/company, is the
app identical for each company, bar aesthetic changes like images?

If so, with minor tweaks to your HTML, a servlet Filter which processes
the HttpRequestServlet.getServerName() field (to get the subdomain)
could look up the URL of a CSS file in a client DB, which is then
included in the document head.

CSS is plenty powerful enough to make all the visual changes you'd need,
if the underlying HTML is the same.  All subdomains would need to run on
the default host, but that would save you the effort of hard coding
Hosts each time.

You could also extend this to look up a more complex client object,
(still based on server host name), with config info, perhaps even a
unique DB name for use elsewhere.

Or not.