Something will eventually call bin/startup.sh (or bin/catalina.sh). Changing bin/startup.sh (or bin/catalina.sh) is typically a bad idea.

Whatever is calling that should export JAVA_OPTS first.

For example:
export JAVA_OPTS='-Xmx256m'
- or -
export JAVA_OPTS='-Xmx256m -Djava.awt.headless=true'

-Tim

Susan Teague Rector wrote:
Hello all,
I've searched around on the net and have found differing opinions about where to actually place the java_opts env var for tomcat. Should this variable be in /tomcat/bin/catalina.sh? When I set it in this file and then print out all env vars, it looks like it is not set.
How do I set java_opts to enable my tomcat applications to get to it?