Susan Teague Rector:

> I've searched around on the net and have found differing opinions about
> where to actually place the java_opts env var for tomcat.
> Should this variable be in /tomcat/bin/catalina.sh? When I set it in
> this file and then print out all env vars, it looks like it is not set.
> How do I set java_opts to enable my tomcat applications to get to it?

Judging from "/tomcat/bin/catalina.sh" you mention, I assume you're on
Linux (or another Unix-like platform). If so, it will probably not
matter much where you set an environment variable "java_opts" because
it's "JAVA_OPTS" that gets passed to the java command starting Tomcat.

IMO the Tomcat-provided scripts like cataline.sh should not be modified.
Instead set JAVA_OPTS in setenv.sh (create it if it doesn't already
exist). setenv.sh will be sourced by catalina.sh.
BTW: unless you really need the options set even when stopping Tomcat,
CATALINA_OPTS may be the better choice to set your options.

--
Regards
  mks