Daniele Development-ML:

> Forgot to mention that when I try with the following command:
> java -Xms512m -Xmx750m
>
> it does succeed in creating the JVM
[...]
> I don't understand why I get different behaviour passing this option the JVM
> when starting Tomcat, and when I give directly to the JVM

>From your OP:
> JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xmx=100m -XX:MaxPermSize=350m -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8"

You get different behaviour because you're passing *different* options
to the VM.
Moreover, as you've been told by the VM and André, -Xmx=100m isn't a
valid way to set the VM's maximum heap size.

And BTW: instead of changing a Tomcat-provided script like catalina.sh
to set your options you should create (or edit) setenv.sh and set the
desired env vars there.

--
Regards
  mks