Daniele Development-ML wrote:
Found a solution here:
http://www.coderanch.com/t/85725/Tomcat/heap-space-setting-Tomcat-Linux

<http://www.coderanch.com/t/85725/Tomcat/heap-space-setting-Tomcat-Linux>Practically,
everything works when setting the above options through CATALINA_OPTS
variable.

Daniele,
a solution found here or there may work, and may still be a bad solution from an overall point of view. Modifying catalina.sh means that at the next Tomcat update, it will probably be lost, and you will wonder why "something that worked with Tomcat 6.0.18 does not work anymore with 6.0.20, but I haven't changed anything !". The best place to set environment values is the Tomcat/bin/setenv.sh (create if not there), which does not get overwritten by a new Tomcat version, and is called (if it exists) by catalina.sh, here :

if [ -r "$CATALINA_BASE"/bin/setenv.sh ]; then
  . "$CATALINA_BASE"/bin/setenv.sh
elif [ -r "$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/setenv.sh ]; then
  . "$CATALINA_HOME"/bin/setenv.sh
fi

Now, in order to really see what happens, you need, on your platform, to look first at the script which starts Tomcat, probably /etc/init.d/tomcatxx. This script will do some setup, then probably call (tomcat_home)/bin/startup.sh, which in turn calls Tomcat_home/bin/catalina.sh, which in turn calls (tomcat_home)/bin/setenv.sh if it exists. read those scripts, understand what they are doing and when, and then put your environment vars in the right place. You cannot rely on some receipe written by someone on some forum for some particular situation, or on some receipe found in a book that was written 5 years ago for a version of Tomcat since unsupported.

There is a standard file in the Tomcat distribution called "RUNNING.txt". On my Debian system, it is in (tomcat_home)/docs. Depending on your Linux version, it may have been moved somewhere else.
Regardless, it is a good place to start.
In my Debian distribution, there is also, at the same location, a file called README.Debian, which explains in some detail how the Debian packager for Tomcat re-organised the Tomcat files, so that they fit better in the general Debian host setup logic.
I would assume other distributions do the same.
Read these files, they are full of precise and logical information.

Unless you understand how it all works together, you are condemned to re-live the same kind of problems again each time you make a change, because you will probably make it in the wrong spot.