From: André Warnier [mailto:a...@ice-sa.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:02 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Need Help - Mod_jk/Apache - Mutiple Content issue

balakarthik.baska...@wipro.com wrote:
> Yes you are right.I think I didn't mention it clearly.I am having this while
> loop for writing a huge chunk of data followed by a thread that sleeps for
> some time and that is where I am expecting my reply_timeout to be timed out
> and the data written till the sleep of the thread is seen in the browser and
> the log file.

Ok, now I do understand better, I think.
There is a request.
The Tomcat app starts answering (a long chunk of data), then crashes.
This is simulated by your test script, which sends a long chunk of data, then
sleeps (to simulate a crash).
Eventually, some timeout occurs, which (may) cause another element to consider
this Tomcat unresponsive, and switch the request to another one.
This other one then restarts the request from the beginning.
The final result being that the requesting browser first received an incomplete
chunk of data from the first webapp, and now starts receiving the same data
(again) from another webapp.

Again intuitively, I don't know how any server-side scheme is going to solve
that.
When the first webapp starts answering, that Tomcat has to start sending the
answer back to the client.  If it then crashes, it is too late to "call it
back"; the data is already on the wire to the client.
It would be in my view the client's responsibility to ensure that it discards
any incomplete data received.
But I don't know of any browser for instance, which does that.
They all start to try to display the data as soon as they have the beginning of
it.

I think that if you really need this, then you would have to insert some other
"item" between Tomcat and the client, which acts as a proxy, and only starts
sending the response to the client when it is sure that it has received and
buffered a complete response from the server.
But then, this "item" becomes the weak link.  It could also crash..
Or else you need an applet at the client side, which does the same thing.

contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the
any attachments.

check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company
email.

www.wipro.com