A few reasons why not to do this as a servlet filter:

1. There are many web apps on the server and I don't want to include the
filter in each.
2. There are other valves like request filters that cannot work without the
correct IP, as well as custom login valve.
3. We have a few environments and I don't want to have different war
configurations for each. We had servers with and without load balancers and
I can see that change again in the near future. This should not affect the
application configuration.
4. It is logically part of the server environment and not part of the web
application. The web application should not change based on the network
architecture. If the system admin adds/removes the load balancer then he
should know about one thing he needs to change in tomcat, and not rebuild
all the wars without a filter. Network configuration should not require code
rebuild with/without filters (we have to do a build to create war, like most
people).