I've run into this before, but didn't have time to hunt down the issue. Now I do, so here goes.

I have installed both TC 6.0.24 and 5.5.28 on Windows server 2003 32-bit (into separate directories, of course). In each case, I first ran the windows installer .exe, and then unzipped the .zip package on top of it so I would have the service.bat utilities. Each one started its default service with no trouble.

I then created a service for my app with each version's service.bat (different names), which starts from a separate folder on the HD. With IDENTICAL settings, both pointing to the exact same catalina_base, the 5.5 one starts fine, and 6.0 fails to start, with the following error in stderr_20100308.log:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:216)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:391)

Much searching of documentation and faqs has not turned up an explanation of what I may be missing in the 6.0 installation, or what the configuration differences are between the two versions.

Any suggestions?