> From: James Matthews [mailto:jxmatth...@gmail.com]
> Subject: RE: Best Practices for Deployment with separate Context XML
> file (Tomcat 6.0.20)
>
> is using a separate Context XML file the best way of providing
> server-specific configuration to a tomcat web application?

I think so, since otherwise the server administrator has to take the .war file
apart, update context.xml or web.xml, and pack it all back together.  Specific
values can also be specified by system properties on the command line, and
referenced in the webapp's context.xml, but that has its own issues with
uniqueness and remembering to set the values when needed.

> Not using the standard webapps folder directly seems like bit
> of a work-around.

It's the way I prefer to run the production apps, as opposed to the examples,
docs, manager, etc., that come with Tomcat.  (We keep the examples and docs
deployed just to give people something to play with - there's no outside access
to the system.)  Having the production apps outside of the Tomcat directory
structure makes it easy to update Tomcat versions when needed - and we do keep
up with each release.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.