Mark Thomas wrote:
On 22/02/2011 17:26, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: alex [mailto:alex.alex.alex.9...@gmail.com] Subject: Re: related to bad url encoding?...
shouldn't it be 404 error if tomcat can't map "this call"?
Tomcat 7 has introduced revised handling for situations where there is no ROOT
webapp; you might want to try that.  Regardless, you still can only use a
custom error page on a mapping failure if you've got a default webapp (ROOT)
and configure ROOT's WEB-INF/web.xml for it.

It isn't going to help in this case. The URL is not valid so it is
correctly rejected by the connector with a 400 response. Since the URL
is invalid, it can't reliably be used to map it to a web application so
there is no opportunity to use an application generated/supplied error page.

so, what do I do if I need to show error in this scenario and I run standalone tomcat? can I do it in custom filter/connector or the only solution to place tomcat behind apache?

Mark

PS The change in 7 just returns a 404 rather than a 400 for requests to
/ when there is no ROOT web application defined.