On 22/02/2011 21:36, alex wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> Tomcat 7 has introduced revised handling for situations where there
>>> is no ROOT webapp; you might want to try that.  Regardless, you still
>>> can only use a custom error page on a mapping failure if you've got a
>>> default webapp (ROOT) and configure ROOT's WEB-INF/web.xml for it.
>>
>> It isn't going to help in this case. The URL is not valid so it is
>> correctly rejected by the connector with a 400 response. Since the URL
>> is invalid, it can't reliably be used to map it to a web application so
>> there is no opportunity to use an application generated/supplied error
>> page.
>
> so, what do I do if I need to show error in this scenario and I run
> standalone tomcat?
> can I do it in custom filter/connector or the only solution to place
> tomcat behind apache?

A filter is too late in the chain, as is a valve. A custom connector
code seems like overkill for this. I would probably go with httpd myself.

There may be a way to get the request to be forwarded to the default
host where the default error handler could respond but I suspect that
approach could quickly get messy. One of the reasons for rejected the
requests in the connector was performance.

Mark