On 15/06/2011 21:00, Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
> Tomcat has many abilities to deploy applications at run time (war,
> tree, context, you name it). However, when used in production, these
> abilities are used cautiously, if they are used at all.
>
> In many scenarios, Tomcat just starts, spends its life, and stops,
> with a defined set of webapps, and has no automatic deployment
> capabilities configured in at all. But the builtin startup scripts,
> and in fact, the Java code itself, lack at least two critical inputs
> for such scenarios:
>
> * Bootstrap will return (and therefore the startup scripts too) before
> webapps configured at startup time are deployed, and while
> bootstrapping is fast, deploying applications at startup can be very
> long;
> * even with a hackish way (watch the log file to account for complete
> server startup) in order to wait for webapps to be deployed, there is
> no status about these deployments at all (has this and that webapp
> been deployed successfully?).

An application might report that it's started, even it hasn't finished
initialising.

> Proposal: implement a fullstart command to Bootstrap which:
>
> * does NOT return until ALL webapps configured at start time are
> (attempted to be) deployed;
> * exits with a positive error code representing the number of webapps
> NOT correctly deployed (or 1 - I don't care as long as it's not 0, but
> please not -1, think WIFSIGNALED()).

'fullstart' is an odd name, people might start using it thinking that
'start' did not fully start the server.

Returning an exit code which describes the number of apps successfully
started isn't much use unless you (or the init script) know the number
of apps configured.