On 16/06/2011 12:15, Francis GALIEGUE wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:29, Pid <p...@pidster.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> An application might report that it's started, even it hasn't finished
>> initialising.
>>

> That is the application's responsibility, so not the problem at hand.

What is the value of indicating success or failure, if the answer is
only partially true?  You can't know for certain whether the answer you
have is meaningful, so it's useless.

> Furthermore, if the application reports a successful start even though
> it is not completely initialized, i consider this an application
> fault, therefore not my concern.

That makes no sense to me.

> As the person being responsible for
> the good behavior of applications in production, I expect webapps that
> I deploy to behave correctly, ie fail to deploy in the event of an
> initialization failure.

That seems contradictory, but it's probably my misunderstanding.

Tomcat won't provide me with this information,
> EXCEPT if I use the manager webapp (in text mode, of course) to deploy
> it, as I can parse the return "message".

Yes it will, using the same mechanism that the manager webapp uses; you
can interact with Tomcat over JMX, the API gives you detailed
information about applications.

> [...]
>>
>> 'fullstart' is an odd name, people might start using it thinking that
>> 'start' did not fully start the server.
>>

> Which is the case in this particular scenario! OK, maybe not
> fullstart, but appstart, something else... As long as this command
> doesn't complete before all webapps configured at startup have
> attempted a deployment.
>
>> Returning an exit code which describes the number of apps successfully
>> started isn't much use unless you (or the init script) know the number
>> of apps configured.
>>

> No, you misread what I say.

Ok.

What I want is the return code to be the