From: "Caldarale, Charles R" <chuck.caldar...@unisys.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Cc: Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2011 8:15 PM
Subject: RE: tomcat manager not working

From: Mark Eggers [mailto:its_toas...@yahoo.com] Subject: Re: tomcat manager not working
 You have the following virtual host:
<Host name="www.maxyexpress.co.uk"
appBase="webapps">
<Context path=""
docBase="d:\wwwroot\maxyexpress.co.uk\wwwroot" />
    <Alias>maxyexpress.co.uk</Alias>
 </Host>
 This means that the actual docBase may end up to be:

%CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\d:\wwwroot\maxyexpress.co.uk\wwwroot

Don't think so. On Windows, a leading forward or backward slash after the drive prefix (d:, in this case) indicates an absolute path. The JVM will figure that out properly.

OK. I should have booted into Windows and checked this out. So while not along
the lines of current Tomcat good practices, the above will actually work?

It just looks a bit unpleasant.

I suggest following the Wiki entry above and setting your virtual host up as follows:
 <Host name="www.maxyexpress.co.uk"
      appBase="D:/wwwroot/maxyexpress.co.uk/wwwroot"
      unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
xmlValidation="false"
xmlNamespaceAware="false">
    <Alias>maxyexpress.co.uk</Alias>
 </Host>
The above appBase setting should probably be "D:/wwwroot/maxyexpress.co.uk", coupled with naming the default webapp's .war file or directory ROOT (case sensitive) rather than wwwroot, located under the appBase directory. Much more along the lines of current Tomcat good practice.

Agreed. I was just trying to create minimal amount of change.

 the slashes are / not \ (even on Windows).
That part shouldn't matter, but forward slashes certainly avoid confusion with regular expression escapes that might appear elsewhere in .xml files.

Again, I should have booted into Windows and played a bit. Thanks for the
clarification.

So if the above virtual host is legal (if not "clean"), and the rest of his
server.xml file looks OK, what in the world is going on?

. . . . somewhat confused
/mde/