> Jorge,
>
> On 6/11/12 3:01 PM, Jorge Medina wrote:
>> There is not much running in the machine other than Tomcat. The JVM
>> actually starts fine, using about 8GB (6GB of heap, + code +
>> threads etc) but it keeps growing. In about 2 days it runs out of
>> memory. (The JVM process has reached more than 15GB).
>
> I would be very interested in seeing where all that memory is going.
> It sounds like it's not going to the heap, otherwise you'd be getting
> OOME and crashing in a different way.
>
> Any luck using lsof?

... or VisualVM with the Memory Pools plugin?

> Also, your previously-posted configuration seems a little insane:
>
>> Xms6g -Xmx6g -XX:NewSize=4G -XX:MaxNewSize=4G -XX:SurvivorRatio=6
>> -XX:MaxPermSize=512M -XX:-UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseStringCache
>> -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
>> -XX:HeapDumpPath=/home/example/logs
>
> -Xmx6g and NewSize=4G? Plus 0.5G for PermGen?

I think you'll run into trouble setting the NewSize that large.
There's a reason that the NewRatio works the way it does.

Sun advice always used to be "keep the eden size between 1/4th and 1/3rd
the maximum heap size".  You are specifying 2/3rd the max heap.