> From: David kerber [mailto:dcker...@verizon.net]
> Subject: Re: Java process killed by oom-killer in Ubuntu

> On 6/11/2012 2:30 PM, Jorge Medina wrote:
> > The machine has 16 GB of memory with no swap space.
> > The JVM was being started with -Xms and -Xmx equal to 6 GB, so I think
> > 10GB extra would be enough for anything else.

> Does Xms/Xmx memory need to be contiguous?  If so, maybe it just can't
> find a big-enough chunk?

It needs to be contiguous in the virtual space of the process, not in RAM.  The
Xmx size of heap virtual space is allocated during JVM initialization, so if it
gets past initialization, it's not a problem.  The OOM killer only gets in the
game when the real memory requirements of all processes combined exceed the
amount of RAM plus swapfile.  Again, it sure looks like -Xmx=6G is too large
for the system, when combined with everything else going on in that process and
the rest of the system.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.