From: Mike [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 05 December, 2000 18:14
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:9546] Re: SC Driver's License

Jim,

I agree with your alternatives. However, I feel no compulsion to give a
terribly accurate conversion. If asked how tall I am, I reply "192 cm". If
asked to convert, I reply "6 feet".

I do think that it should be on the state to do the proper conversion. As
has
been said here before, you don't really use the data on your license, so you
needn't require them to write down the metric. You ought to be able to give
any reasonable answer (which makes cm okay but not miles). They can use a
chart to get the conversion right. (I suppose if you really wanted to make a
stink, you could refuse to give your height in ft/in, but hand her a cm <->
ft/in chart instead!)

I wrote to the MD MVA about this a long time ago, but got no response.

Mike Jenkins
Laurel MD