Dear Han and All,

Some years ago I watched a documentary - from the USA I think - that talked
about snow and how to measure it.

I was struck by the trouble that a scientist had in talking to the media. It
was clear to me that he had made his observations (for years?) using metric
measures but he was trying to translate these to ifp units for the
television. He was making really heavy weather of it.

A curious feature of his struggle was to equate 1 inch of rain with 1 foot
of snow, when he was talking ifp; and to equate 1 mm of rain with 10 mm of
snow when he was talking in SI.

Does anyone know the ratio between rain and snow? I suppose it varies quite
a bit according to temperature and compression. However, is there a Rule of
Thumb that a rheologist would use to calculate river flows in the following
Spring, for example?

Cheers,

Pat Naughtin CAMS
Geelong, Australia