2001-11-22

True!  But, America has a more effective system of propaganda.  And no
matter how much greater somewhere else may be, it is lost when America's
propaganda is more intense.  Billions of people world-wide view American TV
programs and movies and are influenced by what they see.  Including Germany.

Many people from Eastern Europe and elsewhere are emmigrating to the US in
the thousands.  And to them, compared to what they came from, America is a
paradise.  Despite the fact, that many countries can offer the same type of
living standard, or even better, is overlooked because the US has the
reputation.

I live only a few hours from the Canadian border, and have gone to Canada
many times.  Canada has its problems too, but all in all, its cities are
cleaner, safer and more affluent looking.  But, let's face it, Canada has a
self image problem.  Every Canadian I ever talk to has a "woe is me"
attitude.  Constantly complaining about their dollar being only worth about
66 US cents.  My comment back was that the value of their currency compared
to another was meaningless.  It was agreed that the value of the Canadian
dollar had little or no effect on the person's living standard and the
persons were able to afford a decent life.  But still the value of the
dollar was negative and something to whine about.

As a result, I'm sure many people elsewhere are turned off to Canada as a
potential place to stay, and even those who do go there use it as a steping
stone to the US.  Canada may be better, but the propaganda puts the US in a
higher position, and people are always lured by slick advertisements
(propaganda), even if those advertisements are far from the truth.

John