When one becomes a Canadian citizen, the oath is:

"I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty
Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will
faithfully observe the laws of Canada and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen."

Sounds like "subject" could be implied in there somewhere ...

Carleton