That's because the spelling should be bikky which is a variant of bicky.

Baron

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Elwell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 27 November, 2001 12:57
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:16434] Dictionaries -- OFF TOPIC (was: More metric items)

At 06:17 PM 11/27/2001 +0000, Stephen Davis wrote:
>All a 'digestive' is and ever has been to me is a tasty biccy that you dip
>in your tea!!

Presumably "biccy" is slang for "biscuit. It's not in my OED.

Speaking of dictionaries, and since several list members have a version of
the Oxford English Dictionary (OED), allow me to suggest a very interesting
book: "Chasing the Sun -- Dictionary Makers and the Dictionaries They
Made," by Jonathan Green (2000).

Traces the history of dictionaries and lexicography back to the Sumerians,
around 3000 b.c. I found it to be quite dense reading, but well worth the
effort. I also had to look up a word on every page or two, so it helped
expand my vocabulary.

Jim Elwell