John and friends:
As it happen this precisely was the 'error in human mind that DISCARDED earlier attempts to defind time into (2x10hx100mx100s) and link it with 'gradians' to use the present 'Metre'and link with 'second of the French calendar'. For any system to be called *Metric its relation with Metre* must be clearly understood!
Brij B. Vij

From: "kilopascal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [USMA:23136] Re: The Daily Northwestern - The measure of success
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:20:28 -0500

2002-11-06

These types of statements that may seem harmless to some of us can be picked up by the anti-metric crowd and by the average man and woman on the street who know nothing about the present definition of the meter and how precise that standard is.

Prof. Ken Alder turned a 200-year-old FOLLY into fortune with his new book -- and he's getting good reviews to boot

His discovery that the two Frenchmen who standardised the length of a meter made mistakes in their calculations was made public -- 200 years late -- in his second book, "The Measure of All Things: The Seven-Year Odyssey and Hidden Error that Transformed the World."

But errors, which they hid, stopped the astronomers from reaching a perfect calculation. Alder discovered this in historical archives, and the revelation became the basis for his examination of the social, political and scientific implications of margins of error.

If I was Joe six-pack and was uncertain about anything metric, I would be convinced by such statements that metrication is a bad thing because WE would be adopting a measurement system full of errors. It is made to appear that the whole world except the US has fallen victim to the metric folly.

This is bad publicity for metric.

John