Someone posted recently an article from a newspaper in the prairie provinces arguing
against the current Canadian metric muddle and recommending going back to Imperial or
completely forward to metric. (Hard for me to see how they can go back given all the
current investment in metric, like speed limit and distance signs, and the fact that
the last hold-out, the USA, is inching -- yes, that's deliberate on my part ---
towards conversion.)

I saw this quite clearly on the Science Channel last night on a program that talked
about monster trucks. (No, not what you see at the speedway on Saturday night, but the
huge multi-million dollar trucks that are used in mining, etc.) They shot the program
in Canada, and the engineers and other folks interviewed kept bouncing around from
metric to Imperial. The pattern I thought I discerned was that they used metric for
short distances (metres) , liquid quantities (litres), and temperature (degrees
Celsius) and Imperial for longer distances (miles).

Come to think of it, that sounds a lot like what most Brits seem to be doing these
days, n'est-ce pas? Don't they have a muddle there, too?? ;-)

Still, there miles ahead of US! (Still deliberate ... )