From: Natalia Permiakova <np...@yahoo.com>
Date: Thursday, August 22, 2013 11:48 am
Subject: [USMA:53206] Re: [USMA:53197] RE: You know what the rest of the world has figured out? The metric system. It’s time the US got on board. | Plugged In, Scientific American Blog Network
To: "U.S. Metric Association" <usma@colostate.edu>

just added my comment to the article, hopefully it will bend at least one person's opinion toward metric system

“The USA leads the world in Nobel science awards….more than the rest of ‘the metric’ world combined. Little Johnny walking a mile to school instead of 1.6 kms matters because of what exactly?”
It is hard to tell if USA would have even
> more Nobel science award if it would adopt metric system many years ago.
And Johnny could easily calculate in his head on the way home how long would it take him to get home if he runs the distance with the same speed he runs 100 meters sprint. because you don’t need a calculator to divide by 10.
If he decides to use calculator, it is 10-based. 2.89 or 2.77 ft can’t be easily expressed in inches, but for metric measurements it can be done in a split of a second.
Ordinary kids become discouraged with math exercises for every day life in elementary school because there are different divisors for every measuring unit. I feel bad that kids in US can not benefit from simplicity of metric system. US customary system kills all the fun of solving simple problems. (except of money problems, which are metric)
Then, don’t be surprised why ordinary computer coding jobs get outsources and graduates in US can’t find any job.