From: Kilopascal [kilopas...@cox.net]
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:54 AM
To: U.S. Metric Association
Subject: [USMA:53197] metric ounces of 30 g and 30 mL

Eugene,

You misunderstood the point I was trying to make.

When I made the comment about being scared away I was thinking of dual labeled
products on US supermarket and department store shelves.  Those awkward
conversion factors result in metric numbers that do in fact scare consumers
away from metrication.  What do you think the average person thinks of a
rounded 14 ounce package with 396.893 g as a conversion?  If it was 400 g, then
the fright is not there.

If the conversion factors had been made simple, like 30 g for an ounce and 30
mL for a fluid ounce, the result would have been rounded metric numbers with no
decimals that one can't easily do mathematical calculations with.  With
sensible conversions metrication could have happened by now.  Instead of a
pound we could have had packages of 480 g instead of 453.6 or 454 g.  Yes, 500
g may be preferable, but 480 g works just as well.  It can be be divided into
parts by factors of 2 and 3.

14 ounces in this case would be 420 g.  I would treat this as 400 g with a 20 g
bonus.

Americans are hooked on fractions and I can't see that changing.  So a 480 g
package can be divided by both 12 & 16 and is more friendly to divisions by 3
than ounces are.  Try dividing a pound into 2-ths.  It can't be done, but 480 g
can.

Maybe you don't see a need to divided sizes into 16-ths or 12-ths, but some
people do and sizes in increments of 30 g  is more friendly to this than USC is.

The FMA does not want to amend the FPLA for fear of going to metric sizes like
100 g, 200 g, 500 g and 1000 g, but they might not have a problem with
metricated ounces that work best for metric supporters as well as metric
opponents.

If we want to get more of the public to accept metrication, we need to make
metric more friendly on the labels that the public sees daily.  If we don't
metrication will always be contested.

[USMA:53197] RE: You know what the rest of the world has figured out? The
metric system. It’s time the US got on board. | Plugged In, Scientific American
Blog
Network<http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=usma@colostate.edu&q=subject:%22%5BUSMA%3A53197%5D+RE%3A+You+know+what+the+rest+of+the+world+has+figured+out%3F+The+metric+system.+It%E2%80%99s+time+the+US+got+on+board.+%7C+Plugged+In%2C+Scientific+American+Blog+Network%22>

mechtly, eugene
a<http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=usma@colostate.edu&q=from:%22mechtly%2C+eugene+a%22>
 Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:41:55
-0700<http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=usma@colostate.edu&q=date:20130821>

kPa,

First, the so-called "conversion factors" are in reality the *definitions* of
non-SI units, definitions of units which are "outside the SI." They do not
scare anyone who has even only an introductory understanding of SI!

Second, the blog you cite, which adulterates the process of "metrication" as
"metrification" with the "if" was obviously not written by a professional in
NIST, although the conclusion of the need for the transition to SI is
accurately stated.

Eugene Mechtly