Both accounts probably originated somewhere in the Department of Defense.

That is almost certainly the case, Gene. It's called "completed staff work" in the military world, and perhaps industry. That means that the parent organization provides the document to be presented accompanied by suggested "off the cuff" remarks for the presenter.

Jim

On 2013-10-18 11:58, mechtly, eugene a wrote:

A complete video of the Award Ceremony of the Medal of Honor to Captain Swenson
is posted at WashingtonPost.com.

In this video, President Obama describes actions by "Will Swenson" at a
distance of 50 meters, and actions by Will at a distance of 20 or 30 meters.

The "official citation" for the Award states *no* distances, in meters or in
any other unit of distance.

Why did Obama's account included statements of distances in meters, but the
official citation gave *no* distances?

Both accounts probably originated somewhere in the Department of Defense.

Eugene Mechtly