Paul,

I'm going to answer this on the list since others likely will have the same questions.

When you get further into the document, you will see that it points out the watt balance as being essential for macroscopic determinations of mass at the primary local standards level.

Yes, this would fix the Avogadro number for everyone. Recall that IUPAC and IUPAP are involved in this effort!

Jim

On 2014-01-06 08:20, Paul Trusten wrote:
Jim, this is quite exciting! I shall have to sit down and compare the current
SI Brochure with the draft.

It seems like a clever strategy to define the constants in terms of the base
units, so that the base units then become defined by the constants. I don't
know if I'm asking the right question, but here goes. Does this definition plan
eliminate the need for the watt balance and other experiments on redefining the
kilogram, since the Planck constant henceforth shall be exactly defined?

Also, once the BIPM defines the Avogadro constant exactly, does that definition
indeed become binding on physics and chemistry?   It never occurred to me until
now that the keepers of the world measurement system might also be the keepers
of definitions that affect disciplines beyond metrology. Perhaps this is why
consultative committees exist. I don't really know how this actually works.

Paul

Paul Trusten, Registered Pharmacist
Vice President and Public Relations Director
U.S. Metric Association, Inc.
Midland, Texas, USA
+1(432)528-7724
www.metric.org